. . . and departing leave behind us, footprints in the sands of time.
-The Psalm of Life by: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
You and your families history is important to the Nash County Heritage Book and we cordially invite you to participate in the upcoming publication.
- Who is eligible to participate?
- Present residents of Nash County.
- Former residents of Nash County.
- Those with roots in Nash County.
- How much may I submit, and what is the cost?
- Each household is encouraged to send in 500 words of their family genealogy/history and 1 photograph. OR
- If your ancestors were in Nash County by or before 1850, you may submit a 1000 word pioneer genealogy/history and 2 photographs.
- Additional words are 0.10¢ per word. Extra photos are $12.50 each. Double-wide or double-deep photos are also $12.50 additional.
- Abbreviations/numbers above five letters equal two words, and punctuation does not affect this.
- What can I write?
- Why and when they came to Nash County.
- Dates and locations of birth, marriages, death and burial.
- Family stories.
- Yourself and your family.
- Childhood, school days, and other events.
- Jobs, residences, hobbies and pasttimes.
- Topical articles (to be used at book committee discretion).
- Histories of churches, clubs, and organizations.
- Each allowed 250 words and 1 photo(s).
- Additional photos see Paragraph II.C.
- Communties and major topics. (Ask committee for details.)
- Military service biographical sketch.
- Each allowed 100 words and 1 photo(s).
- Additional photo; see Paragraph II.C.
- Article format.
- Double-space type or word processing on bond paper. We cannot accept articles which are typed in ALL CAPS. Upper and lower case must be used! A hard copy must be included. We will also accept text on diskettes, using MS Word or Word Perfect.
- Include at end of article:
- Word count.
- Sources, if available
- Name, address, and story submitter.
Also include name, address, phone
number of compiler if different.
- Caption to appear (see Paragraph
- A list of all names, last, first, maiden, or middle, please, typed on a separate sheet of paper and stapled to your story. (see Paragraph IX.)
- Photograph directions.
Note: Do not submit original irreplaceable photos! We make every effort to return them, but cannot be responsible for loss or damage!
- Types and size.
- Glossy photos are best! Black and white are preferred, but we accept 35mm color and studio quality prints. Laser copies do not reproduce well, so please don´t submit them! We will accept .jpg or .tif photos on a separate diskette or CD. If submitting digitized scanned images, please scan at 300 dpi to preserve image quality. A glossy print of your photo must also be included!
- The following are not acceptable: Xerox® copies, negatives or faded Polaroids.
- Any size up to 8” x 10”.
- All photos will be reduced to one
column - 2.5” wide x 1.75” high, with standard cropping as a bust shot. You must pay extra, as detailed in II.C., for larger sizes.
- Place a return address label with telephone number on the back or (not as desirable) print with soft lead pencil on back of photo.
- Include stamped, self-addressed envelope large enough for your photos.
- Limited to 10 words or less.
- Type at end of article.
- Writing Assistance
- Contact committee members.
- Sample NC County Heritage books may be seen at the Braswell Library in Rocky Mount. They are published by County Heritage, Inc., and may be helpful with writing your articles.
- Articles cannot harm or embarrass another individual.
- No genealogical charts or tabular material can be used.
Please help prepare an every name index: List last, first, maiden or middle names. Type on a separate sheet of paper and staple to your story.
- No email submissions. Sorry!